Mar 29, 2010

Deceitfully Healthful Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins


My mom served these yummy muffins to our family growing up.  They are great day-starters because they pack a big punch of oatmeal with a touch of sweet with mini-chocolate chips.


Deceitfully Healthful Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

1-1/2 cups oatmeal
2-2/3 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
6 oz. mini-chocolate chips (half of a bag)

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease 24 muffin cups.  Combine the dry ingredients--oatmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and create a well in the middle of the mixture.  In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients--eggs, milk and oil.  Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir just until moistened.  Add the mini chips until evenly combined.  Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full.  Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until tops are light golden.  Remove from oven, and allow to cool for 5 minutes before handling.






If these look yummy, you might like to try the following:








Berry Healthy Muffins (no white flour, no oil, and only 1/2 cup brown sugar!)




I'm linking up to:
Blessed with Grace
 
Beauty and Bedlam



19 lovely comments:

Tracey said... Best Blogger Tips

These sound delicious! I make something similar and am happy that they are at least a bit healthier than your normal muffin!

Have a great night!

SnoWhite said... Best Blogger Tips

Those look amazing!! They are on my to-try!

Brenda said... Best Blogger Tips

I was looking for a recipe like this this weekend, they look great!

Janet said... Best Blogger Tips

These sound delicious. I think I'll have to give them a try.

MrsJenB said... Best Blogger Tips

Are these rolled oats or quick oats that you're using? Also, do you think this is one of those recipes where applesauce could be used instead of oil? I'm all about trying to healtify myself (that's not even a word, I know) after Easter and this looks like a great recipe to try! Thanks!

AZ Mama said... Best Blogger Tips

I used quick oats and they are delicious! I also used Egg Beaters egg whites. I'll have to try applesauce next time!

C. Beth said... Best Blogger Tips

I made these today--yum! I substituted half of the white flour with whole wheat (I used white whole wheat). They still got nice and fluffy.

I also realized I was out of baking powder--yikes!! I did some Googling, and the Joy of Cooking website suggested (for every 1 tsp of baking powder) to use 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp cream of tartar, and 1/4 tsp corn starch. Thankfully I had all of those. (We use cream of tartar in our homemade play dough!) I would never know they didn't have baking powder in them. So just in case anyone else finds themselves baking powder-less...that's a substitute that actually works!

Melissa said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the awesome recipe! Money Saving Mom made these this week; I plan to follow along :)

Jody said... Best Blogger Tips

Wondering if rolled oats will work! Looks yummy!

content2be said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Jody! I have substituted rolled oats in this recipe with no problem. Perhaps a tad chewier, but no other noticeable difference. Hope that helps!

content2be said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, Melissa! I hope you like them as much as we do.

Gina said... Best Blogger Tips

I realize I'm late to the party but I made these last night and thought they were terrible. They taste like cardboard with chocolate chips in them. I followed the recipe exactly and am left wondering if something was left out? Vanilla? Something? I'm pretty bummed that I now have 24 muffins that are probably going to go in the garbage unless my 5 year old will eat them, but so far its not looking likely. I really wanted these to work too!

Abby said... Best Blogger Tips

I agree with Gina. I just made these, and I added a teaspoon of vanilla after reading her comment. Even with that addition, and with a few extra chocolate chips, the muffins are pretty flavorless. I think next time I'll add a mashed banana.

content2be said... Best Blogger Tips

Gina and Abby, I'm sorry these weren't to your liking. They are not especially sweet, which is why I like to serve them for breakfast to my kiddos. With the addition of the chips, my girls gobble them up. I imagine a banana would add a touch of natural sweetness!

Great Abolo said... Best Blogger Tips

Are you having issues in your relationship, or finding it difficult to have a child of your own or are you the type having any diseases in your body. I will advice you to contact Dr. Abolo of Abolospell@gmail.com . The potency of his spell is so effective and can reunite broken relationship and can also make one get pregnant know matter the situation and not only that, he also has the power to cure all type of diseases within the period of 48hours.. Contact him today and thank me later.

Contact details : Abolospell@gmail.com

Tamara Barrow said... Best Blogger Tips

powerful herbal healer called Dr. voodoo who use his natural herbs to cure
my HIV disease I suffered from 5years, but now I am a happy woman and i am
free from this disease that has been problem to my living, after using Dr.
voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i was diagnose negative, I will
recommend Dr. voodoo to everyone reading this article because this herbal
healer is capable to heal anything below.

1. Diabetes
2. HERPES 1/2
3. CANCER
4. Lymphoma disease
5. Conceived a child
6. Fibroid

Email Dr voodoo at: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com add Dr. voodoo on
whatsApp: +2348140120719

Jennifer K Robert said... Best Blogger Tips

Natural herbs have cured so many illnesses that drugs and injections can't cure. I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I read people's testimonies online on how they were cured of Herpes, HPV HIV/AIDS & STDs, Diabetics , Gonorrhea, Hepatitis, Arthritis, Chronic pains. etc. by herbal medicine, so I decided to contact the doctor because I know nature has the power to heal anything. I was diagnosed with Herpes for the past years but Dr Chike cured me with his natural herbs and I referred my aunt and her husband to him immediately because they were both suffering from herpes but to God be the glory, they were cured too .I know it is hard to believe but I am a living testimony. There is no harm trying natural herbs. Contact Dr on Whats-App . +233502715551. text/call via: +1 (719) 629 0982 , or you can also contact through his Facebook Page @ Dr Chike Herbal Remedy.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Getting rib of Herpes virus wasn't easy, I came across Dr voodoo on how he
has cured so many people from herpes and other illness so I decided to give
him a try, now am permanently cured using the natural herbs medication and
cleansing supplement sent by Dr voodoo no more herpes, contact Dr voodoo
WhatsApp number +2348140120719 also e-mail him at:
voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

lauriel keene said... Best Blogger Tips

Powerful Herbal treatment is 100% guarantee for HSV cure, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure HSV 1 an 2 is because they believe on medical report, drugs and medical treatments which is not helpful to cure HSV and hasn't proved any sign of helping. Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever. I never believed it until I was helped and cured of my 16 months genital herpes with natural herbal medicines from Dr oduku. Where other medical prescribed drugs and treatments failed, Dr oduku natural herbs helped saved me from Genital herpes permanently and I’m so grateful for this. You can also get help from this great and powerful Herbalist Dr oduku by reaching him on whatsApp +2348124765093 also EMAIL: drodukuherbalhealingcentre@gmail.com or visit his page https://www.facebook.com/Droduku/ or his tiktok.com/@drodukuhomeYou can visit his website https://drodukuherbalheali.wixsite.com/my-site

Dr Oduku is the best herbal doctor.
Here is my private e-mail laurielkeene159@gmail.com you can also get in touch with me.